7/7/08

Change Blockers

A ship left its port-of-call for an eight-day sail across the ocean. On the 8th day, friends and family gathered on the other shore to welcome the arriving ship. Only it did not come. They waited and waited and no sight of the ship. The coast guard was called. Eventually the cruise ship was found, in tact, everyone safe but scared at being lost at sea. An investigation revealed that the radar mechanism was off calibration by a mere 1%. Only 1% off, yet hundreds of miles off course.

“Human beings are build for success but programmed for failure.” -
John Roger & Peter McWilliams in Do It!

Here are some attitudes that can cause us to go so far off course, and become lost in a sea of frustration, scared and alone.

1. Justification. I call this the “Big but syndrome.” Agreeing but disagreeing. “I may be wrong, but you are too.” “I see what you are saying, but I just…..” “I know this is not my best work, but…” Justifying excuses ad nauseaum. Justification refuses to recognize truth.

2. Rationalization. This is akin to justifying, only dressed up a little. It is more intellectual and sounds more plausible. Regardless, it blocks honesty, admitting mistakes and changing for the better.

3. Denial. Denial is saying one thing and doing another. “No, I don’t watch too much TV!” Really? Do a time log to see how much time is wasted in front of the boob tube. “I don’t have an attitude!” Really? Make a recording of you interacting with a client or family member with what you think is your okay attitude. Wait three days and then listen to the recording again. Denial leads to delusion that believes the lie you have told yourself.

4. Dishonesty. Dishonesty is stretching the truth. Dishonesty is refocusing the situation to put you in a good light and make someone else the bad guy. Dishonesty is leaving out, even to yourself, anything that might make you look bad. Dishonesty is being fake and counterfeit.

5. Fear. Fear is seeing the need to change, only being afraid you cannot change. I know how to be obnoxious, but I do not know how to cooperate. I know how to be sarcastic, but I do not know how to be honest. I know how to demand, but I do not know how to ask or to make an appeal.
The willingness to take risks is our grasp of faith. George E. Woodbarry

6. Arrogance. Arrogance is thinking you are always right without considering the other side. It is obstinately and intolerably devotion to your own beliefs or creeds. It is putting on “airs” and pretending to be someone you are not.

"It was because of my great pride that I began to attack everyone who did
not see everything just the way I did." The Final Quest by Rick Joyner

We human beings are a peculiar lot. We want change, yet are afraid to change. Or maybe we want the situation to change, while we stay the same. After all, “I am not the problem.” But what if I am at least a part of the problem? Even a tiny amount like 1%? Think about it.

“Nothing of value gets lost in the change.”
- Anthony Hopkins in The Dawning

No comments: