3/17/13

Real Age - Chronology or Biology

 

Drs. Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz are on a campaign to help Americans determine their Real Age. Not chronological years, but health years. Improved health results in the very real reality of extended chronological years. Or at least better quality of life for the remaining number of years we are on planet earth. I had the opportunity to come face-to-face with my internal health issues.

Dr. Richard Couey is a cellular biologist with Baylor University in Waco, TX. He has a unique way of counseling clients. A tiny drop of one’s blood is put under a microscope that projects the image to a computer screen. On the wall are pictures of healthy blood cells and also of blood cells in various degrees of maladies. The individual is allowed to make his/her own diagnosis as to the health of one’s cells.

My husband and I were allowed to see for our self the decay of our cells. Reality of what was hidden to our eyes. My cells were thick (matches my heavy body) and clumped together. My husband saw rampant arthritis flecks and decaying cells. Both blood systems had puffs of stress.

For three months we followed Dr. Couey’s suggestions for eating and moving. Very simple things like fresh fruits and vegetables. Baked chicken and fish and reduced amount of red meat. Walk around the block twice a day. When sitting, lift your legs up and down and roll your shoulders and ankles for improved range of motion. We also took enzymes and vitamins.

On my own, I recommitted to daily quiet time and meditation. At the end of ninety days, the blood tests were re-administered. I was amazed. I had lost six pounds and had more energy.

But the proof was in the blood. The cell walls were appreciably thinner and the clumping was reduced, with a few flowing freely. And no puffs of stress.

It’s all about movement. When my last HDL cholesterol was not optimal, the nurse said the most effective way to increase those numbers was through exercise. Walking speaks to the body in powerful ways. So I am choosing to not make exercise into a four-letter word and have retitled it "energizing". Quality calories in and quality movement out.

We need community. We need movement. Seems our bodies are hard wired for exercise and to care. The caring part comes easy for me. Not so the physical fitness. But that is all changing and I eagerly anticipate the daily transformation. As my chronological age increases, with a positive change in activity and eating habits, my biological age can stay consistent – or reverse.

How about you?

Let's start a conversation: mona@monadunkin.com

No comments: