2/2/10

Health Issues: Factual and Actual

In a recent Upper Room devotional, the following plea was included: “God show me what to do to help You help me.”

I like that.

The problem in my life is not so much a lack of knowledge, as much as it is a lack of application. It is not not knowing, but not doing.

Dr. Mark DeHaven, founder of the GoodNEWS wellness program, compiled the following information.

Factual Causes of Death
Heart Disease
Cancer
Stroke
Lung Disease
Accidents
Diabetes
Pneumonia/Flu


Actual Causes of Death
Tobacco
Alcohol
Diet/Activity Patterns
Microbial Agents
Toxic Agents
Motor Vehicles
Firearms
Sexual Behavior
Illicit Use of Drugs

The “Factual” cause of death is what is listed on the death certificate, whereas the “Actual” cause of death is lifestyle factors. Five of the nine actual causes are directly within our control. Here are some things I am doing to motivate me to be disciplined in the area of physical wellness.

Just do it. It’s Nike time! Exercise in the AM and I don’t dread it the rest of the day.

Some is better than none. A short walk is better than no walk. Stretching helps. A few bites can stave off the binge. Small portions are filling when eaten slowly.

Keep moving. I recently observed a teen maneuver his skate board up an incline merely by twisting his hips. This small action propelled him forward. I wondered if a little shake would stimulate my sluggish metabolism. So now I twist while brushing my teeth. And on other non-observable occasions.

It is not “to die for”. Since adopting this mantra it is becoming easier to say “No” to tempting treats, second helpings, chips and late night snacks.

Practice makes permanent. Practice makes perfect only when we are practicing correctly. Brushing my teeth is a habit. Just as a fuzzy mouth motivates me to use my toothbrush, I have heard, and look forward to, the day when lethargy will spur me into action.

Habits are changed through insight and commitment. How about we do it together.

We welcome reprinting of articles in your newsletter or magazine, providing credit is given as follows: “This article was written by Mona Dunkin, Motivational Speaker and Personal Success Coach, www.monadunkin.blogspot.com or www.monadunkin.com.”

No comments: